Did You Know?
- 66% of your body is water.
- 80% of the earth’s surface is water.
- 97% of the earth’s water is in the oceans and seas.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- A person can survive without food for more than 30 days, but less than a week without water.
- A single birch tree will give off 70 gallons of water per day in evaporation.
- Bones are 25% water.
- Corn will give off 4,000 gallons of water per day in evaporation.
- Each day the sun evaporates 1,000,000,000,000 (a trillion) tons of water.
- For every 2.31 feet that water is raised above the earth’s surface it can create one pound per square inch of pressure.
- For every 2.31 feet you are submerged below a body of water’s surface there is 1 pound per square inch of pressure equally placed on your body
- Human blood is 83% water.
- In a 100-year period, a water molecule spends 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, about two weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.
- It takes 1,851 gallons of water to refine one barrel of crude oil.
- It takes 120 gallons of water to produce one egg.
- Over 42,000 gallons of water (enough to fill a 30-by-50-foot swimming pool) are needed to grow and prepare food for a typical Thanksgiving dinner for eight.
- The average household uses 107,000 gallons of water per year.
- The first water pipes made in the U. S. were fire-charred, bored-out logs.
- The only water we will ever have is what we have now.
- There are over 1 million miles of water pipelines and aqueducts in the
- There are over 59,000 community public water systems in the United States and Canada. That’s enough to circle the globe 40 times.
- Water is the most common substance found on earth.
- Water is the only substance on earth naturally found in the three rule element forms: solid, liquid, and gas.
To learn more about our water supply, please contact the Water Department at (276) 679-1160.