- Suggested Trip Itineraries
- Daylong Cultural Adventure
Daylong Cultural Adventure
Daylong Cultural Immersion
Searching for a daylong exploration of cultural and historic attractions near Norton? We've got you covered! See suggested trip itineraries below. Check out the High Knob Region Landmarks page for more ideas.
Day Tripper: Cultural Immersion
Early Exploration: Southwest Virginia Museum Historical State Park
Southwest Virginia Museum Historical State Park, Big Stone Gap
Spend the morning exploring some of Southwest Virginia's rich history.
- Take an abbreviated tour of the Southwest Virginia region's history by visiting Southwest Virginia Museum Historical State Park. Open most days March through December. See the museum website for more details, including admission fees and hours of operation.
- Also visit the John Fox, Jr. Museum, which was the home of author John Fox Jr. and where he wrote Trail of the Lonesome Pine, 14 other novels, and more than 500 short stories. See the website link above for more details, including admission fees and hours of operation. Click Driving Directions from Norton.
- There is also the Harry W. Meador Jr. Coal Museum, which offers a look at coal mining and how the industry has influenced local communities and culture. See the website link above for more details, including location and hours of operation.
- Eat lunch in downtown Norton at one of these Local Restaurants.
- After lunch, take a stroll through downtown Norton to the Wise County Chamber of Commerce where a roadside plaque outside the office offers an abbreviated version of Norton's history. Also, walk past Norton City Hall where a Cannon said to be from the U.S.S. Constitution, "Old Ironsides," sits. It's dedicated to those from Wise County who died fighting in World War I.
Afternoon Adventure: History, Wine, and Art
MountainRose Vineyard, Wise
Spend the day exploring several attractions in the neighboring town of Wise.
- Take a stroll across the University of Virginia's College at Wise (UVa-Wise) campus. The land where the college sits has a long History. Walk the campus grounds using one of these Suggested Routes. Driving Directions
- Visit MountainRose Vineyard, located about five miles from the college and pictured above. The vineyard is located on a reclaimed surface mine. Vineyard tours and wine tastings are available, and MountainRose also hosts several monthly special events. Driving Directions from UVa-Wise.
- Stop by the Inn at Wise. The century-old Inn, in addition to offering overnight accommodations, is a mini-art gallery, featuring photographs and other artwork by local artisans. Driving Directions from MountainRose.
Evening Entertainment: Artistic Performance
- If searching for bluegrass or traditional old-time music, visit Country Cabin II just outside downtown Norton or Lays Hardware Center for the Arts in downtown Coeburn. Both venues offer several monthly events and are affiliated with the regional Crooked Road initiative.
- If visiting the area during late July through late August, be sure to catch a showing of the Trail of the Lonesome Pine State Outdoor Drama in Big Stone Gap.